Kamis, 13 Februari 2014

Apple Scrap Applesauce

My kids and I eat a lot of apples. They are a whole food, super-cheap, full of nutrition and purely delicious. They are a lazy moms food, since they take less work to serve than oranges or even bananas.

Bobby always need me to "start" his, which means I take the first bite. That first bite is hard for him to get his little teeth into. Daniel has recently been having me "start" his, too. They like having things the same. Then, they are ready for consumption.

I dont cook apples often because I dont need to. They are fine just as they are. Peeling and cooking reduces the nutritional content as well as costing extra money in ingredients and electricity. It takes extra work on my part. That is a lose-lose all around.

My kids dont always finish their apples, though. Amy Dacyczyn recommends making individual microwave apple crisps with these reject apples. Putting sugar and unsoaked grains onto a perfectly good apple seems like a bad idea to me.

When I find a half eaten apple, I chop it up, with the peel on, and throw it into a bag in the freezer. If I find an apple with a small rotten spot, I chop off the bad bit, chop up the rest, and throw it into a bag in the freezer. When the bag gets full, I throw them all into the crock pot with some water. I cook them overnight on low. I add a pinch of stevia, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. With little effort, I have turned my reject apples in to a prized treat: applesauce.

0 komentar to “Apple Scrap Applesauce”

Posting Komentar

 

Internet Android App Copyright © 2016 -- Powered by Blogger